Jaguar Land Rover
Jaguar Land Rover
REQ ID: 88701
JOB TITLE: Senior Software Engineer
POSTING END DATE:
Jaguar Land Rover is harnessing technology to make driving smarter, safer and cleaner. You can help create a world in which responsible, sustainable vehicles revolutionise the driving experience for generations. Our vision is to leverage the incredible potential of technology to build vehicles that not only offer a premium, all-encompassing digital experience, but that also make our customers lives better.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We are looking for a software engineer with proven experience, or demonstrable interest, in developing and maintaining the Kafka infrastructure of big data platforms, and building applications that enable us to stream data via Kafka topics as part of a cross-functional team. Your skill-set should be able to demonstrate how you have/can delivered/deliver and maintained/maintain cost-effective solutions that enable high data streaming throughput via Kafka in production environments. Your background should include exposure and advocacy for modern DevSecOps practices, and being able to put in place and work with tooling to enable such practices (think “testing in production”!). Being able to advise others on Kafka engineering best practices is also something we d be interested in.
This role provides a rare opportunity to support and grow an entirely new data capability within Jaguar Land Rover s Global Digital Development team. You will form an essential part of a collaborative, iterative and agile process within a team of designers, software, DevSecOps and quality engineers helping deliver best in class digital solutions to the business and its customers.
Do you thrive in an exciting, dynamic and creative start-up environment, but also enjoy the security, resources and influence of an established and successful organisation? Would you excel within a world-class and passionate team that loves what they do? Are you looking for an influential role that can truly make a difference?
With scope to become a single component, or component group, technical lead, you will be a valued member of the Global Digital Development team, contributing to the strategic direction of the data technology and solutions delivered.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Provisioning and tuning Kafka infrastructure for internal JLR teams (in an eventually-automatic context) to enable high-throughput and discovery of data for processing by their components.
- Mentoring/line-managing other engineers and interacting with cross-functional teams across Jaguar Land-Rover s digital area to help deliver customer satisfaction and enable our off-board data platforms to become world-leading.
- Helping enterprise architects, software engineers, and other technical stakeholders understand Kafka engineering concepts by encouraging and teaching best practices.
- Being able to identify where infrastructure running costs can be reduced without sacrificing customer satisfaction.
- Consistently delivering to challenging business objectives and adhering to Service Level Agreements with commercial implications for success and failure
- Demonstrating strong problem-solving and analytical skills both individually, and as part of a group.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of configuring, running, observing, and fine-tuning Kafka infrastructure and associated tooling for a big data platform in production environments using AWS MSK
- Knowledge of automating processes to deliver timely, cost effective decisions with minimal human intervention.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Ability to build independently deployable, highly connected web-services.
- Java development experience, specifically with Spring Cloud Streams, Spring Boot, and Spring Kafka
- Ability to collaborate with software engineers, platform-reliability engineers, product owners, agile delivery leads, architects, and customers in cross-functional teams.
- Willingness and ability to contribute to process improvement initiatives.
- Ability to coach and mentor other engineers to achieve a high quality data fabric.
- Awareness of DevSecOps culture and associated practices: Continuous Integration and Delivery, Infrastructure Automation, Automated Monitoring and Analytics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience of pairing to undertake role.
- Experience of working in an Agile/XP/Scrum team and familiarity with associated techniques.
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan and performance related bonus scheme. All this and more makes Jaguar Land Rover the perfect place to continue your journey.
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At Jaguar Land Rover, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work, if suitable for their role. Further details can be discussed with the Hiring Manager at interview stage.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.