Boclips is the small but mighty educational technology start-up with a distributed team across US, UK, Poland and the Middle East. Our customers build interactive courseware and e-textbooks; we provide the educational media that brings these spaces to life.
We enhance the digital learning experience for K12 and higher-ed students with engaging videos that offer real-world context, virtual field trips, and quality instruction. Enabled by our API, we deliver these enriched videos to the right student at the right time in their learning journey.
You ll be part of an experienced, disciplined and most of all fun team of 12 Software Engineers, Data Scientists and Designers based in UK and Poland. We care about people and care about solving problems. You ll be encouraged to make mistakes and learn quickly. You ll add to the Boclips culture that has at its heart learning, empathy and impact.
About the role:
Boclips is a team of 35 across the world with a team of 14 in product, design, data and engineering.
- We pair program a lot to share context, learn from each other and solve problems more quickly.
- We deliver continuously, which allows us to work in short cycles and ship code frequently.
- We use TDD. Following the red/green refactor cycle of Test-Driven Development is enjoyable and helps to keep everything in perspective. It helps us as engineers to think through a problem, detailing required functionality through tests.
- Domain-driven Design. Helps us keep things simple.
- Data. Gathering events from users actions allows for better decisions on improvements and choosing new features.
- Automation. As a startup we’re still in the phase of building and optimising our internal workflows. We’re continuously looking at ways to automate back office tasks to make everyone happy.
Take a look at our product and engineering blog if you’d like to learn more about how we work.
Our tech stack:
We leverage state of the art technologies to deliver our solutions:
- Microservices +Java + Continuous Delivery + DDD
- React and Redux on top of TypeScript
- Backends are JVM based with Spring Boot powered by Kotlin.
- Concourse CI automatically tests and packages all services into Docker containers, which get deployed on a cloud Kubernetes cluster in the end.
- Top level communication skills and in English!
- A well-rounded understanding of how modern web applications operate
- Openness towards pair programming and TDD.
- Interest in evolving engineering practices to be better and simpler and contributing to engineering culture.
We believe in hiring for engineering aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills.
- You can communicate clearly to all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners.
- You advocate for writing high-quality code and leaving things in a better state than you found them.
- You re a well-rounded software engineer who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- You have reached a good level of software craftsmanship, preferably fullstack.
- Remote, hybrid working (London, Warsaw or Boston)
- 30 days holiday (exc public holidays)
- Professional development budget
- Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks fully paid)
- Home office set up budget
- MacBooks as standard
- Private Healthcare / Medical
- Pension / 401K
- Life Insurance
- Chat with Recruiter
- Coding Challenge (incorporating TDD + Pair Programming) with a Senior Engineer
- Real world coding session taking a real user story from the backlog and working with an engineer.
Java, Spring Boot, KotlinJava, Kotlin, Spring Boot, Typescript, React