Who we are:
Our mission is to increase the number of people doing their best work (see our manifesto here read me!)
Figuring out what to do with your life is hard enough, let alone finding it! cord is in the business of creating human connections and so far we ve started more than 100,000 conversations. But this is only the start
We’ve grown to a small team of 40 people since 2016 – and we are planning on doubling in size in 2022. People from all over the world rely on cord to help them decide where to invest the time, and funds like Sequoia, EF, Founders factory and many more all recommend cord to their portfolios.
We believe doing your best work is routed in freedom, autonomy and a clear focus. We don t rush our hiring, and we don t make someone an offer lightly. But when we do, we back them.
We re a diverse team of talented, value-driven people focused on creating positive change at scale. It is worth noting that as a general rule, we look for people who are what we’d term ‘value driven and results focussed’.
About the job: We re looking for a detail-oriented and passionate UI/UX Designer to further improve cord for our users. This is a fantastic opportunity to work within a cross-functional team and have a big impact on the entire organisation and the experience of cord users. Design and User Experience are at the forefront of everything we do here at cord. You will envision how people experience our product and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. As a UX Designer, you ll take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for thousands of people – from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. To achieve this, you will work within the Tech & Product team and collaborate closely with our Head of UI/UX, as well as our Product Owners and Engineers throughout the entire design process-from creating user flows and wireframes to building & evaluating user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them. Drawing upon the Lean UX framework, you’ll be asked to work together with our Head of UI/UX, UX researcher and Data Analysts to run user research in order to better understand user behaviour and help the product team with sprint planning and execution by putting users first at all times. Having defined the product and user requirements, you should then be able to independently design the solution and product interactions following cord’s design system & guidelines as well as accessibility standards and usability best practices.
Role activities and responsibilities:
- Create, maintain, document and support a common visual language as well as common reusable components, principles and design specifications
- Build and contribute to our cord design system (cord atelier)
- Collaborate with developers, user researchers, data analysts and product owners, contributing at every stage of the product life-cycle from planning and user research to concepting, design, evaluation, development, implementation and delivery.
- Create user flows, wireframes, concept mock-ups through to fully functioning prototypes
- Conduct user testing and user interviews to evaluate design assumptions and improve cord’s usability and accessibility.
- Identify user requirements by researching and analysing user needs, preferences, objectives, and working methods; studying how users consume content, including data categorisation and labelling; meeting with focus groups, and participating in user research conducted throughout the organisation
- Develop and maintain clear and detailed UX documentation that fosters a delightful user experience
- Take ownership of the user experience: mapping user journeys, designing interactions, present and defend design and deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
- Know when to follow our design system guidelines and when to break it to create engaging layouts
- Know & utilise usability heuristics when designing prototypes and being able to run heuristic evaluation to identify issues in the user experience and resolve them
- Work closely with the design and development teams to oversee the implementation of the design assets and layouts, leveraging existing design patterns and systems.
- Identify and document meaningful patterns from the user research
- Collaborate with the CS and Marketing teams to identify areas in which design can improve the storytelling + customer experience
Essential skills and experience:
- A degree in HCI, User Experience Design or in other equivalent field and 2+ years of experience as UI/UX/Product designer
- Experience working within a product team as part of a start-up/scale-up
- A solid portfolio demonstrating first class UX and UI work showcasing your skills, previous work or UcD projects
- Ability to gather, synthesise, understand and communicate user needs, motivations and behaviours and translate them into digital experiences using design thinking and related methodologies
- Good understanding of the user-centred design principles, usability heuristics, gestalt principles, universal design and accessibility
- Good knowledge of responsive web design, cross-browser compatibility, creating excellent user experiences
- Good understanding of personalisation, experimentation, UX principles, A/B and multivariate testing and CRO tactics
- Demonstrable experience in creating UX artefacts – Journey maps, IA, low-res and hi-res prototypes and wireframes
- Experience designing web and mobile applications
- Experience conducting usability testing and user interviews.
- Experience using UXPin for building hi-fi – fully functioning prototypes
“Nice to have” but not essential (ordered list):
- Excellent and persuasive communication of your design decisions and rationales
- Experience with UcD / Agile / Lean UX
- Experience using other design and prototyping tools such as Figma and Adobe XD
- Understanding of HTML5 and CSS properties
- Unlimited holiday: We run on results, not facetime
- Stock Options: Everyone has stock
- Culture: A supportive culture that actively encourages continuous learning and progression
- A Fun & Rewarding Environment: stimulating, fast paced, meaningful & exciting
- Mental Health Support and Therapy sessions for free
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular team building and social events
- Tech / Kit Budget to give you the tools you need
- Screening call with recruitment team
- Take home UX challenge
- Interview with UX & product team
- Final round with founders
UI/UX, User Research, Product Design, PrototypingUI/UX, User Research, Product Design, Prototyping, UXPin, Figma