Title: Interaction Designer Day rate: £500-600 per day (inside IR35) Reports to: Design Manager Location: Remote – Occasional travel to SwindonContract:?6 months, with possible extension
You will be working in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to thrive.
As an interaction designer you will be working with multidisciplinary teams to create, evaluate, update and review user-centred interactions at all stages of the end-to-end user journey. You’ll be working with individuals across multiple disciplines in a fast-paced environment, where priorities can quickly change, and new user needs are emerging all the time.
Skills and experience:
- Meeting GDS standards: You are experienced in working with the GOV.UK Design System, content guidance and GDS Service Standard.
- User focus: You know how to collaborate with user researchers and can represent users internally. You understand the difference between user needs and the desires of the user. You can champion user research to focus on all users. You can prioritise and define approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so.
- Evidence- and context-based design. You can absorb large amounts of conflicting information and use it to produce simple designs.
- Prototyping: You approach prototyping as a team activity, actively soliciting prototypes and testing with others. You can establish design patterns and iterate them.
- Designing for everyone: You understand and can apply the principles of accessible design to ensure services can be used by all.
- Experience of working within constraints: You can identify constraints and can communicate about these and work within them. You know how to challenge the validity of constraints. You can ensure standards are being met.
- Experience of working with content designers to create and update prototypes, including coded prototypes, using the GOV.UK Prototype Kit.
- Stakeholder relationship management: You can negotiate with and influence stakeholders and manage relationships effectively.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Working in an agile environment to design for websites and transactional services
- Taking responsibility for design quality
- Working with content designers to create and iterate prototypes and concepts to communicate and test ideas with users
- Collaborating within a multidisciplinary team by sharing design work
- Supporting and attending user research sessions