FreeAgent aims to remove the stress and pain of dealing with business finances. From the very beginning in 2007, our aim was to create a product that would make an impact and improve the lives of micro-businesses in the UK. Now FreeAgent is one of the UK’s most popular online accounting software providers, with over 125,000 customers.
Not to blow our own horn but Accounting WEB even named FreeAgent the top bookkeeping product of 2020 and 2021. And in 2021 our mobile app was also voted Client App of the Year’ by ICB LUCA. The list could go on!
It’s not just our customers who love us, our employees do too.
Find out more on Glassdoor.
We believe in the power of a collaborative, high-performing, and diverse team. We’d love you to join us on our journey.
Mobile engineers at FreeAgent have experience of building well-tested mobile applications. In this role you will design and build new features, pay down technical debt, and ensure we have a healthy system architecture built for the future.
Mid level engineers are mentored by our more experienced engineers, helping you increase your domain knowledge and learn the skills required to progress in your career.
Senior engineers give back by helping our less-experienced engineers develop in their roles.
You get to use exciting modern technologies at FreeAgent.
It doesn’t matter if you don’t have direct experience – we have a trusted onboarding programme that will bring you up to speed. We heavily rely on the following:
- Kotlin for most of our application code
- Coroutines for concurrency
- Koin for dependency injection
- Retrofit and OKHttp for our network layer
- We use an MVP pattern and the project is spread across multiple feature modules
Experience with any or all of these things would be fantastic, but don’t worry if it doesn’t quite match up. You can see the full list on StackShare.
Your typical week will include:
- Designing and developing new features, and shipping them to production via our continuous delivery platform (we release every fortnight!)
- Working collaboratively with engineers, product managers and product designers in order to plan sprints, as well as help to estimate upcoming projects
- Reviewing pull requests and helping colleagues troubleshoot their code
- Authoring and responding to ‘request for discussion’ documents which we use to collaboratively make high-impact technical decisions across engineering teams
Ideally you’ll have
- Commercial Android development experience with at least one app in the Play Store
- Development experience with Kotlin
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of best practices and techniques in mobile app development
- Willingness to mentor and work with a distributed team of engineers.
- Experience with CI and testing mobile apps (Unit tests, automated tests)
- Thorough understanding the differences in device specs and native Android UI/UX
- Passionate about building great UI and UX
- Open source contributions are a bonus
We also value the following attributes:
- Strong attention to detail. If a job is worth doing, we believe it’s worth doing right
- Learning mindset. If you are committed to self-improvement, we can provide opportunities galore
- Strong communication skills. We believe being able to write and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business
This role is open to engineers from a wide range of experience levels; we’ve included a general guide to our expectations below:
Mid £37,500 – £56,000
Our mid level engineers help out with code reviews and testing. They share knowledge with other engineers through pairing, buddying new hires, or informally. They are comfortable building small features independently and work with more senior developers on larger features, and are able to present technical solutions and discuss technical problems with the wider team.
Senior – £56,000 – £77,000
Senior mobile engineers act as ambassadors for their team to the wider engineering organisation. They help other engineers with their personal development through mentoring, pairing and informal training. Seniors show technical leadership on larger features, and can work independently while still maintaining excellent communication with the team. They also actively remove blockers for other team members.
Staff – £77,000 – £92,000
Our staff engineers identify knowledge gaps and work to provide training to fill those gaps. They help to shape the technical direction of the mobile team and can take the lead on very complex problems and deliver high quality solutions. In this role they will have a deep technical understanding of the Android platform and be able to communicate complex technical concepts to the wider organisation.
We pride ourselves on creating a fantastic place to work, including (but not limited to!) the following:
- 33 days holiday (and an extra day for each year you’re with us)
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Private health care
- Life assurance
- 5% matched pension contributions
- Summer 4 day weeks (giving you 7 additional days off!)
- Buy-as-you-earn share schemes
- Sabbatical leave (unpaid)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Wellness webinars
- Focused learning time and learning budgets
- Volunteering day
Our work life
We believe in a strong work-life balance, we don’t work long hours (35 hour working week), and we have a fabulous Edinburgh HQ expertly designed for collaboration including high-quality A/V equipment to provide a great experience for distributed teams.
At FreeAgent, we support each other and operate a no-blame culture. Our mindset is: work hard, be nice to people, and the rest will sort itself out!
This is a permanent, Full time role (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). This role can be based remotely within the UK, and if you are in the Edinburgh area, there will be an opportunity to adopt hybrid working for this role and work under an agreed pattern from both the office and at home. Working from home is second nature to us as we have been championing remote working for 14 years.
How to apply
We hire smart, talented people (like you!) to make FreeAgent even better.
Our application process is simple: upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you want to work with us. Our selection process includes:
- A phone call with a member of our Talent Team
- An ‘at-home’ technical exercise
- Two or three video interviews
We work hard to make the process straightforward, transparent, and enjoyable.
FreeAgent is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family or parental status.
Want to find out more? Email any queries to (see below)