Tandem Talent Ltd
Tandem Talent Ltd
Back End Developer
Reporting to: Head of Applied R+D team
Foster and Partners are an award-winning British architectural design and engineering firm who put forward an innovative, modern and sustainable approach. We are based in Battersea SW London. Due to a period of sustained growth we are looking to recruit a Back End Developer to join our Applied R+D team
About the role
The Applied Research + Development team produces cutting-edge technologies, including web applications, to support Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations for the built environment. We take these technologies through all stages of the innovation lifecycle, from R+D prototypes through to robust production applications. We are looking for back-end developers to support this mission and deliver industry-leading solutions.
In this position you will help deliver innovative web applications for Architecture, Engineering and Design. We develop a broad variety of application structures including RESTful APIs, real-time web applications and hybrid cloud/on-premise systems.
Back-end developers are required to work in teams alongside front-end developers, graphic designers, and user experience designers to ensure all elements of web creation are consistent. This requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Back-end developers will write code, design solutions for applications and continuously improve functionality. To be successful, you should demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills, high-quality coding skills, and the ability to manage your time efficiently.
- Creating top-quality applications used for Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations (AECO) in the built environment
- Collaborating with front-end developers, computational designers, environmental engineers and other domain specialists
- Improving functionality
- Using the most current and appropriate technologies
- Designing and building application layers
- Delivering in support of all stages of application development lifecycle, including tests, CI/CD pipelines and documentation
Qualities and Skills required
- Degree in computer science, software development, or equivalent experience
- Extensive working knowledge of coding using .NET languages especially ASP.NET Core
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (Azure Cosmos, MongoDB), SQL servers and object-relational mapping frameworks like Entity Framework Core
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps and Microsoft Azure
- Experience with building RESTful APIs
- Ability to scope, implement, test and deploy microservices.
- Experience in deploying complex high-uptime applications.
- Proficiency in integrating with third-party APIs
- Familiarity with common web security threats and threat mitigation. Ability to liaise with colleagues in our IT infrastructure team to ensure best practices.
- Following office-wide standards for coding, user interface and application security
- Experience with high-performance computing for engineering simulations and mathematical modelling.
- Experience with programming distributed rendering systems or render farm management tools like AWS Deadline
- Experience with persistent HTTP connections using technology including Microsoft SignalR, WebSockets or WebRTC for real-time applications.
- General understanding of CAD/BIM tools and technologies
- Experience with unit testing frameworks like XUnit/Moq or similar
- Working knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes and Helm Charts.
- Knowledge of GraphQL, webhooks and modern API tooling.
- Node.js experience
In return we offer a competitive basic salary and generous benefits package which includes 25 days holiday (exc bank holidays), Pension, DIS and discretionary annual bonus