Job band : D
Job Location: Glasgow – Pacific Quay
Contract Type: Permanent – Full time
Are you an experienced journalist who is passionate about storytelling and wants to join BBC Scotland’s news operation in the impressive Pacific Quay building in Glasgow?
As the nation’s leading news service on TV, radio, online and social media, we deliver breaking and developing news and provide accessible analysis and explanation of events.
The audience is very firmly at the heart of what we do and our sophisticated content analytics will give you immediate reader feedback on the website stories you work on.
This will help you hone your journalism skills, while developing a rich understanding of audience preferences and behaviours.
Your work will be seen by millions worldwide – a well-crafted, visual and engaging article produced in Scotland will find an audience not only at home but in mainland Europe, the US and beyond.
You will join a hard-working team of journalists from a variety of backgrounds and ages who, together, pride themselves on delivering the best content for our website and social media platforms.
- A senior visual journalist will have the ability to translate complex ideas and sensitive topics into imaginative and compelling visual formats (eg graphics, maps, data journalism and other bespoke digital content) and will have a strong understanding of what makes visual design stand out from competitors.
- You will be working with designers and journalists to produce illustrations and animations using Adobe Creative package such as Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Photoshop and Illustrator whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fairness.
- You will produce ideas for data-driven stories and how they could be developed and visualised for multiple platforms while also using data and visual journalism tools and workflows to create excellent content, both editorially and technically.
- You will be committed to visual excellence and push innovative design while operating in a fast-paced news environment, usually within tight deadlines.
ARE YOU THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
The successful candidate must have:
- Significant experience creating visual storytelling using a range of production techniques.
- Be someone who can handle the pressure of breaking news and be assured in delivering unrivalled content which is accurate, speedy and impartial.
- A willingness to experiment and try different approaches and formats in digital storytelling to reach new and different audiences.
- The ability to work well with other journalists and teams across our newsrooms and the wider BBC Scotland.
- A good knowledge of Scotland and its institutions which is vital to carrying out this job to a high standard.
- Ability to role model the BBC’s values and be able to inspire and unite teams behind these values and behaviours, within an inclusive newsroom culture.
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.