The Economist is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver world-class, thought provoking content through a range of formats, from web and app, to newspapers and magazines, conferences, film and audio. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
With a growing global subscriber base and a reputation for insightful analysis and opinion on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications and the foundation of our digital consumer product portfolio. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior UX Researcher to sit within our world class Data, Research and Insights group to support the Product and Design teams in building new products and improving current experiences.
What we re offering you
- Hybrid working encouraged – we ll supply you with the kit you need
- Flexible working hours
- Bonus scheme
- Private health care and dental plans, generous pension plan
- Annual wellbeing days and Summer 4 day week trial
- Conferences and learning resources
- 25 days working outside the UK available
- Full subscription
About the role:
We are looking for a Senior UX Researcher who will work closely with the product and design teams to provide ongoing insights and best practices. Reporting to the UX Research Lead as part of the Data, Research and Insights centre of excellence, and embedded within the product organization, you ll be part of a cross functional team of Engineers, Product Managers and Designers.
You will reveal what our users need from our products by conducting research and working with cross-functional teams. You will coach Designers to guide them as they conduct smaller research pieces. Your responsibilities also include inspiring change, facilitating qualitative research, delivering presentations, evaluating and synthesising data, and helping the product teams better understand what would improve the user experience.
We offer flexible hybrid working (including 5 weeks working from anywhere) and currently, the expectation is that colleagues will be in the office for two days per week. Please do ask if you would like to discuss flexible working options.
How you will contribute:
- Design, manage and lead user research studies to uncover new insights and opportunities, understand current needs and wants, and test potential design solutions before bringing them to market.
- Facilitate qualitative research sessions and set up quantitative surveys.
- Coach product designers on UX research best practices and methodologies.
- Identify insights by analysis of quantitative and qualitative data from user research, consumer research and competitor data.
- Translate insights into actionable recommendations across digital products, services and spaces, providing a continuous pipeline of data to improve the consumer and commercial customer experience.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, designers, product managers and developers on research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new concepts.
- Create communication tools, utilising the appropriate tool for the task.
The ideal skills and experience for this role:
- A passion for user research and human-centred design
- An interest in people and cultures
- A minimum of 5 years experience in design research or UX research roles (these should specifically be research roles, not Designer roles with a significant research element to them)
- Significant experience designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative research
- Proven ability to analyse and synthesise findings into clearly communicated, engaging and action focussed outputs
- Experience in moving in fast paced, agile environments
- Experience of bringing product teams on the research journey with you and ensuring that research is a team sport
- Proven ability to work effectively within multi-disciplinary and cross-departmental teams
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills and ability to present ideas confidently
- Experience running workshops with stakeholders and consumers and of facilitating a variety of qualitative methodologies
- Experience with using tools such as Figma, InVision, Sketch, is preferred
- Remote / Hybrid working
- Annual Bonus Scheme
- Charitable trust/ donation matching to your Charity of choice
- Employee assistance program
- Income protection insurance
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Parental leave
- Eye tests
- Gym loan and discounts
- Ride2work scheme
- Above average pension plan
- And last but not least; free access to The Economist Content
Recruiter Screen followed by 2 rounds of interviewsUser Research, Figma, User TestingUser Research, Figma, Sketch, Invision, User Testing