Snr Front-end Engineer – React/Node.js Global Shipping Platform
Looking for a company where you can shape how the world buys, sells, and gives? Where you’ll be supported in challenging conventions, trying new things, and innovating? Where you’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago? Where you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact? If so, we’d love to talk to you.
About the role
You will play a major role in helping millions of eBay sellers connect to our buyers worldwide via shipping experiences which delight and help our sellers grow their business. We are looking for someone who is product and delivery driven, and passionate about crafting innovative products at scale.
You’ll be one of 5-8 software engineers in the team. The team is led by an Engineering manager and has a dedicated Product Manager and a Web Designer. We own a suite of web applications within the shipping space built with React/Redux and Node.js using TypeScript. Expect to be committing, reviewing and shipping new code right from the first week! We work very closely with core API, mobile application and payment teams.
You’ll spend most of your time:
- Building/Extending React/Node.js based applications, including using or writing internal APIs
- Architecting front-end applications that are secure, maintainable, extensible and can meet the demands of eBay’s scale
- Supporting our applications in production, including setting up & maintaining logging, monitoring and alerting. We follow the “you build it, you run it” philosophy.
- Helping your teammates grow & influence other teams through collaboration, and more directly with pair programming, both in the office and remotely
- Assisting the engineering and product managers research, scope and plan new domain & platform capabilities.
- Improving application quality & increasing deployment speed, through refactoring code, proposing new tools and changing processes
- Effectively communicating your and your team’s progress to your team members, your manager and wider eBay colleagues
To be considered for this role, you must have significant commercial experience and a passion working with:
- testing frameworks (such as Playwright, Jest, CucumberJS, or BackstopJS),
- accessibility-minded HTML & CSS.
and experience with:
- Monitoring the health of your applications in production,
- SQL and NoSQL databases,
- developing and using enterprise APIs, and
- working in a continuous delivery environment.
Not vital, but you’ll have the edge if you also have experience with languages and frameworks like:
- Java (in particular, Spring framework) or Kotlin.
or have experience with:
- Prometheus, and
or have worked in:
- an eCommerce organisation, or
- a shipping/logistics/exports organisation.
This is a hybrid role. Our offices are in Shoreditch, London. Currently we are spending two days a week collaborating and socialising with our colleagues in our Shoreditch office. When we’re in the office, a light breakfast and lunch is provided, and a weekly massage. There’s a bike rack and a shower too. Shoreditch is a lively area of London – we often go out after work in one of the many bars or restaurants in the area.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
In addition to a competitive salary, eBay UK benefits include:
- 25 days paid time off – increasing to 27 after two years, and an additional day each year up to a maximum of 30
- Sabbatical for 4 weeks after five years
- 20 weeks paid leave for birth parents, 12 weeks leave for non-birth parents (fathers, adoptive parents, surrogacy)
- Private health insurance, dental and eye care
- Life and disability insurance
- Employee stock purchase plan (15% discount) and Restricted Stock Unit (RSUs) grant
- Employer contributed pension up to 9%
Read more about our benefits at
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at . We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible. View our accessibility info to learn more about eBay’s commitment to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. For more information see: EEO is the Law Poster and EEO is the Law Poster Supplement.
Jobs posted with location as “Remote – United States (Excludes: HI, NM)” excludes residents of Hawaii and New Mexico.