Job title: Senior Content Designer Organisation: The Scottish Government
Salary: B3 £43,725 – £52,353 + £5000 DDaT supplement
Location: Hybrid Working with bases in Edinburgh or Glasgow
Number of posts : 5
Closing date: Sunday 12 November at 11:55pm
Are you looking for an exciting digital role where you can make a difference as part of a supportive and innovative multi-disciplinary team?
This is a fantastic opportunity to join The Scottish Government in the Social Security Programme Division as a Senior Content Designer helping to deliver vital public services for the people of Scotland.
The Social Security Scotland Programme Directorate has been created to design and implement devolved benefits for Scotland, enabling the delivery of 16.5 million payments per year, to an estimated two million people.
This vacancy sits within the Programme Management and Delivery Division and will support our various teams within the programme.
Working with the latest tools, technologies and methodologies we aim to develop user-centred system, services and processes that build capability and enable the delivery of devolved benefits in Scotland.
About the role
This post plays a key role in the end-to-end journey of a service to help users complete their goal and government deliver a policy intent. Their work may involve the creation of, or change to, a transaction, product or single piece of content that stretches across digital and offline channels.
A senior content designer is an expert practitioner who develops content strategy and solutions for large-scale problems and high profile events. They take responsibility for content quality, managing small teams and mentoring content designers. They write and map user stories, assure quality and review the work of others. They lead on cross-government content projects. They engage and contribute to the cross-government content community.
What we offer
We offer meaningful and careers, the chance to develop skills in an inclusive culture, and flexible working to support a healthy work-life balance.
Our benefits package includes:
Competitive civil service salary and additional digital pay supplement of £5000 per year (after qualifying period of 3 months)
Contributory pension package (employee contributions 5.45 – 7.35% employer contributions 27.1 – 27.9%)
Generous leave allowance – 5 weeks, rising to 6 weeks after 4 years. In addition, the Scottish Government observes 11.5 days public and privilege holidays.
Flexible working arrangements with the option to accrue additional days off.
Hybrid working options with base locations in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Learning and development opportunities to help you reach your professional and personal potential.
Career progression join a well-established digital community with excellent opportunities for career advancement.
Health and wellbeing support including 24 hour access to our Employee Assistance Programme.
Employee discount scheme.
As a Senior Content Designer you will:
• Work with minimal supervision to create and iterate content for end-to-end services that makes complex language and processes easy to understand and directs others in the pursuit of this as needed.
• Understands and implements as needed appropriate content styles and standards.
• Identifies, analyses, manages and monitors relationships with and between stakeholders, using evidence to explain decisions made and balancing competing priorities.
• Leads the design and implementation of content strategies, directing the evaluation of strategies and policies to ensure business requirements are being met.
• Works with user researchers to understand users, identifying who they are and what their needs are based on evidence.
• Prioritises and defines approaches to understanding user stories, guiding others in doing so, and proposes design approaches or services to meet these needs.
• Offers recommendations on the best content design tools and methods to use.
Additional Duties of this Role:
• Plan and develop content for required business areas
• Review content produced by others against digital standards and guidelines
• Participate in and/or support programme and project assurance activities
• Contribute to DDaT community such as by participating in events and reviewing processes, tools and guidance
• Other duties as required by SG to support wider corporate activities
Essential Digital Data and Technology (DDaT) knowledge:
• Extensive experience of writing for the web, with proven ability of planning and creating accessible user-centred content
• Proven experience in using data and user feedback to define and refine content
• Proven experience of managing relationships with stakeholders
• Experience in working with content publishing systems
Essential Competencies Required:
• People Management
• Communications and Engagement
• Improving Performance
• Analysis and Use of Evidence
How to apply:
To apply for this position you will need to submit an application via our online application system:
1meyfkd _ga MTg1MTk3MzY3LjE2OTIyNjI2NDY. _ga_5Y2BYGL910 MTY5NzQ1MDk5OC40MC4xLjE2OTc0NTExODUuMC4wLjA
As part of the application process, you will be required to submit a CV outlining your relevant skills and experience for the role (no more than 2 sides of A4) and a personal statement (of no more than 750 words). When considering how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your CV and personal statement to reflect the role and the essential skills/criteria as described in the job description/person specification.
Find out more:
Visit our Social Security Digital Recruitment webpage:
If you have any questions about this vacancy contact us at:
Employment type: Full-time