Junior Digital Learning Designer
Reports to: Training and Events Programme Manager
Location: West London – currently operating an agile working policy with two core days (Mon and Weds) in the office
Contract: FTC (2 years with potential to extend)
Pattern: Full Time (standard hours 9am – 5.30pm)
Closing date: 01/03/2024 at 10am
Interviews: First round virtual interviews are expected to take place on Friday, 8 th March, however please note that we may arrange interviews as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised
Salary: £28,000 to £32,000 (depending on experience)
It is an exciting time to join the Ark Institute team. Ark Institute is the centre of excellence for professional development for Ark Schools. We design and deliver pioneering development programmes to develop all 4000 colleagues across the entire organisation. From our Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ initial teacher training programme; to our transformative approach to developing teachers and leaders and the central team; to our mission-driven apprenticeship and operations offer as well as delivery of golden thread qualifications. We also work with over 200+ schools nationally via the work of our Teaching School Hub and strategic partnerships.
About the role:
We are looking for someone with interest and some experience in digital learning design/production looking to develop further. They would:
- Support teams within the Ark Institute by creating engaging, high quality digital learning for our bespoke learning platform for the benefit of all staff across our network
- Support with the management and development of our learning management system
- Support with championing digital learning across the organisation
- Undertake a 19-month Level 5 Digital Learning Designer Apprenticeship Programme
The Junior Digital Learning Designer sits at the heart of our team and will be instrumental in our exciting plans of expanding our digital learning offering and improving our learning management system. We will provide a significant investment in your development and support you through a formal apprenticeship programme with an external training provider as part of the role and will fund the training programme cost of £16,000.
The Junior Digital Learning Designer will draw on the content expertise of multiple stakeholders across the organisation and apply digital learning best practice to produce high quality and engaging eLearning courses as well as seek ways to improve how we use our LMS and engage and support others within the organisation to create learning solutions.
- Work with subject matter experts and senior stakeholders to understand needs and facilitate the creation of digital learning solutions
- Create engaging, high quality digital learning for our bespoke learning platform for the benefit of all staff across our network using rapid authoring tools such as Rise, Articulate, Vyond and others
- Production of materials such as infographics and other documents to be included in digital learning solutions
- Support with the administration of the learning platform alongside other members of the team
- Keep track of and review user feedback and issues identified to maintain and update the platform Help and Troubleshooting Guides
- Support Digital Learning Champions by training, troubleshooting, problem-solving and providing guidance where lack of time and expertise in digital learning design is a barrier to the creation of excellent learning solutions on the learning platform
- Stay up to date with the latest digital learning technology trends and theory and keep Digital Learning Champions and Subject Matter Experts updated
- Commit to completing an apprenticeship programme and to an average of 6 hours per week focused on apprenticeship development throughout the length of the programme
- Experience in graphic design and the use of design software (e.g. Adobe, Canva, web design)
- Some experience in using course development/authoring software (Articulate, Vyond, Camtasia or similar)
- A strong interest in digital learning and instructional design
- Experience of Learning Management System administration
- Experience of creating different types of media, including video
- Experience of working and managing relationships with subject matter experts and senior stakeholders to support training delivery
- Knowledge of the education sector
- Excellent general IT skills, with specific skills in using Microsoft Office applications (especially excellent PowerPoint skills for the design of training materials and Excel) and SharePoint
- Takes initiative in everything they do and shows a willingness to go the extra mile
- Is resilient and will find a way to overcome barriers
- Diplomatic and an effective team worker
- Internally motivated and committed to driving up standards of work
We’re an international charity, transforming lives through education. We exist to give every young person, regardless of their background, a great education and real choices in life. In the UK, we’re a network of 39 schools, educating around 30,000 pupils in areas where we can make the biggest difference and we’re recognised as one of the highest achieving academy groups in the country. We want to change the lives of children everywhere, not just in our own schools. So, we create and incubate Ventures designed not only to help pupils in Ark schools, but also to improve education systems.
You’ll be joining a group of like-minded, ambitious individuals who work collaboratively and are all committed to our core mission, that every child has the potential to succeed. Having just celebrated our 20 th anniversary, we are shaping our goals for the next 20 and there has never been a more exciting time to join us.
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising with each year of service up to 30 days after 3-years’ service. This entitlement is pro rata for part time employees. This entitlement excludes bank holidays
- Full office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Hybrid working, with currently two days a week in our state-of-the-art office in West London working alongside colleagues
- Regular social events, monthly free breakfast, and daily fruit
- A flexible approach to working with understanding and consideration for work life balance and personal commitments
- As an Ark employee, you will have the opportunity to be part of the TPT (The Pension Trust) scheme, our workplace pension scheme where we make an 11% contribution; you are not required to contribute towards this scheme unless you choose to. Depending on your role you may also be entitled to LGPS which is a defined benefit scheme where you contribute a percentage based on how much you earn (as do we) in exchange for a guaranteed amount in your pension pot every year
- Access to high-quality professional learning throughout your career, offering both face-to-face sessions and a bespoke online learning platform
- Access to Ark Rewards scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers, interest-free loans available for season tickets or a bike, gym discounts offering up to 40% off your local gym and free eye tests
How to Apply:
Apply with a CV and cover letter on our online recruitment portal. Applications to be submitted by Friday, 1 st March 2024 at 10am but please note: we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response.
This ATS application form should take no longer 20 minutes to complete. At any time, you can pause, save, and log back in. If you have any difficulty with meeting the deadline for application, please contact
First round virtual interviews are expected to take place on Friday, 8 th March, however please note that we may arrange interviews as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in its academies. In order to meet this responsibility, its academies follow a rigorous selection process to discourage and screen out unsuitable applicants.
Ark requires all employees to undertake an enhanced DBS check. You are required, before appointment, to disclose any unspent conviction, cautions, reprimands or warnings under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. Non-disclosure may lead to termination of employment. However, disclosure of a criminal background will not necessarily debar you from employment – this will depend upon the nature of the offence(s) and when they occurred. To read more about Ark’s safer recruitment process, please click this link .
We aim to build a diverse and inclusive organisation where everyone – staff and students – can do their best work and achieve their full potential. We want to reflect and represent diverse perspectives across our organisation because we know that doing so will make us stronger and more effective. To know more about Ark’s diversity and inclusion commitments, please click on this link.