Salary 40,000 – 65,000 GBP per year
– Your potential is much more important to us than a list of characteristics. Nevertheless, here is a list of characteristics that we hope already apply to you, or that you re very keen to develop:
– You consider yourself fairly expert in at least one OO programming language (not necessarily Ruby).
– You have built a production web application using an MVC (or equivalent) framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails).
– The terms OOP, SOLID and TDD make you feel warm inside.
– You can write complicated SQL statements directly in the console without a query designer.
– Unix, Linux, Heroku, GitHub and NoSQL are not just made-up words to you.
– You have strong Git-fu and can perform interactive rebases from the command line.
– You re not afraid to get stuck into DevOps and have a go at, say, implementing Docker in a CI pipeline.
– You write your best code when pair-programming with another developer regardless of their experience.
– You wouldn’t write a line of production code without writing a failing test first, because that s how it s done, right?
– You read about programming and technology because it s a passion, not just a profession.
– You see legacy code as an exciting opportunity to innovate and make things better.
– Refactoring and rearchitecting legacy code where appropriate to ensure you always leave it better than you found it.
– Reviewing code fairly and honestly; and receiving code reviews openly on each of your pull requests.
– Collaboration with business stakeholders to develop requirements and expectations.
– Collaboration with technical stakeholders to discuss constraints and opportunities.
– Monitoring our production systems and providing technical support to the business.
– Maintaining our development pipeline and toolchain.
– Innovation and self-led learning.
This is a unique opportunity to become an influential member of a small, remote engineering team. You will enjoy all of the benefits of working in a startup, the freedom to innovate, to explore new technologies and to use your experience and ideas to directly influence the business.
== Why ClickMechanic? ==
ClickMechanic is a marketplace for vehicle repairs. Our platform enables customers to acquire real-time industry-standard quotes for repairs (a first in Europe), services and diagnostics, and quickly book a vetted mechanic online. Our mission is to bring trust and transparency to car repair.
Founded in 2012, the company has grown quickly to offer nationwide coverage and is backed by such institutional investors as 500 Startups and Forward Partners, and angel investors including the former CEO of JustEat and Chairman of Treatwell.
Vehicle repair is a huge market, ripe for technology disruption. There are millions of consumers, tera- or even peta-bytes of potentially underused data, with an exceptional logistics infrastructure (parts distribution).
== The Role ==
As a full-stack developer in a small team, you will work across all aspects of the product from architecture and DevOps to code reviews and tech support. Working alongside our CTO & Head of Engineering, you will deliver new features and continually improve our existing code.
Technology underpins our entire business. We ve built an industry-leading quote engine and mobile Mechanic App. We consume millions of rows of third-party automotive data and have implemented machine learning to improve the accuracy of our quotes.
== Our Technology ==
As a startup, we prefer open-source technologies. Our main application is built with Ruby (on Rails) and is hosted on Heroku and AWS. We mainly use PostgreSQL databases, but also use SQL Server and Elasticsearch. The application is mostly a “majestic monolith”, with a few components isolated as separate services or refactored out into private gems.
Our mobile-optimised Mechanic App is built using React and Redux, with some parts of an older JQuery mobile implementation still remaining.
Our development pipeline utilises Jira, Git, GitHub, Docker, Webpack, Grunt and CircleCI.
We also maintain an ELT pipeline using Meltano to import data into Snowflake for consumption via Looker.
== Benefits ==
– Working with leading open-source technologies in an agile team.
– A culture that embraces flexibility, and rewards growth and innovation.
– The opportunity to directly contribute to the success of the business every day.
– A competitive package including company pension and share options.
– MacBook Pro as standard.
– 10% innovation time.
– Manage your own training budget.
– Full remote first working
– 4 Hubble passes a month as standard (and more if you need them), enabling you to work from shared workspaces if you fancy a change
– Bringing trust and transparency to an industry which is widely recognised for high levels of customer dissatisfaction.
PS: No recruiters please, direct applications only.