Charles River Laboratories - Scotland
Tranent, East Lothian
Charles River Laboratories – Scotland
At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for this position, a resume/CV must be uploaded and submitted during the application process. Please make sure work history and education are added correctly.
The Full Stack Engineer is responsible for transforming the design and the product vision into working products and will directly influence how users will interact with the system by developing across the complete application architecture from the user interface to the back-end ecosystem of services and applications. The Full Stack Engineer works hard to stay on top of fast changing technology and invests a lot of energy in learning new tricks. They are early adopters of industry trends in client and server-side languages and frameworks, cloud services, and DevSecOps tools and practices, they know how to write clean modern APIs, integrate with legacy systems and work with databases. A love for clean code and a passion for user centered, high quality, performant engineering goes without saying.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Build applications according to the design and provide designers with feedback and suggest tradeoffs when required
• Design and develop functional, performing and complete APIs, the business logic and backend systems of the product
• Develop user interfaces that efficiently and effectively use the systems APIs
• Ensure code follows latest coding practices and industry standards
• Write both unit and integration tests for front ends and back ends, and develop automation tools for daily tasks
• Challenge ideas and opinions to avoid pitfalls and inefficient solutions
• Decipher existing companies software systems and be able to hook in application to applicable data sources.
• Develop high quality, well documented, and efficient code.
• Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team to design and launch new features
• Maintain quality and ensure responsiveness of applications.
• Able to take a concept and turn it into a finished feature from user interface to APIs and business logic to underlying and supporting data
• Meet both technical and consumer needs.
• Early adopter of developments in cloud, web applications and programming languages, continuously learning and applying new languages, frameworks and cloud services
• Combine business knowledge, functional, technical and testing skill sets.
• Continually improve products with automation, risk mitigation and other practices.
• Focus on setting technical direction on groups of applications and similar technologies as well as taking responsibility for technically robust solutions encompassing all business, architecture, and technology constraints.
• May be responsible for coordinating teams to accomplish development in a matrixed organization.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or a related discipline
Expert experience as a full stack engineer building modern web and cloud based applications
Mobile development experience with either native or web-to-native tooling and frameworks.
Deep knowledge of Object-Oriented programing and engineering principles like SOLID.
Significant experience writing and utilizing autonomous services oriented RESTful API services and performance tuning large scale apps.
Experience with database systems, with knowledge of SQL and NoSQL stores (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Couchbase, etc.)
Ability to write effective unit, integration, and API tests.
Nice to have knowledge of immutable infrastructure, infrastructure automation and provisioning tools.
Experience as a Full Stack Engineer on a cross-functional Agile team, with specific Solution Architect (or similar) experience preferred
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Be able to code and architect back and front-end solutions with multiple types or architecture.
Familiar with production Cloud / DevOps environments.
IMPORTANT: A resume is required to be considered for this position. If you have not uploaded your resume in your candidate profile, please return to upload field and attach your resume/CV.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to . This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit .
Job Segment: Cloud, Front End, User Experience, Developer, Pharmaceutical, Technology, Science